Search This Site

Academic Resources

Your primary academic resources include your academic advisor and, depending on your school of enrollment, an academic dean (Association Dean for College of Arts and Sciences students). You can find a list of the College's Association Deans here. Your advisor will guide you on course selection and planning, and can answer basic academic policy questions for you in addition to helping you think through your overall academic experience at the University. In most of the schools at the University, exceptions to policy or more complex academic concerns/issues should be addressed with an Association Dean or Assistant/Associate Dean for Academic Programs in your school. If you are seriously struggling academically or if you are considering withdrawal from the University you should make an appointment to see your academic dean right away.

However, if a personal issue (depression/anxiety, family or personal crisis, injury or illness etc.) is having a significant negative effect on your ability to succeed academically, OR if your financial situation is creating a significant burden on you, please make an appointment to meet with Laurie Casteen, Associate Dean of Students (or a fellow Associate Dean in the Office of the Dean of Students) as soon as possible.  The Deans will communicate with school academic officials as applicable to support you as needed. You can reach the Office of the Dean of Students at (434) 924-7133, M-F from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, or you can stop by the 2nd Floor of Peabody Hall.  Below are resources you may find useful in your academic pursuits at the University.


The University Bookstore offers the opportunity to rent or purchase new or used textbooks. If your professor has provided the bookstore with the texts needed for your course, you can then find them listed on the University Bookstore’s website.

It can also be a great idea to shop around before purchasing your textbooks. Here are some websites you may find helpful in price comparison.

Colleges within the University for Current Undergraduate Students


In addition to individual school registrars, the central University Registrar (UREG) offers a variety of services. Need to request a transcript, want to know which academic requirements you still need to meet, or need to certify your enrollment? Then check out the Registrar’s website!


If you need help in a particular subject, there are opportunities to seek out tutoring. Some departments offer tutoring sessions free of charge while others maintain lists of individuals who can be independently contracted by a student for a fee. The English Department also offers the Writing Center which can be accessed by all UVa students free of charge.

January Term

January Term offers a variety of courses and programs for students to take advantage of before returning for their spring semester. Whether it is an On-Grounds course, a study abroad program, or undergraduate research seminars, January Term is a great way for students to take advantage of the few weeks in January leading up to the start of spring semester classes! Financial aid is available for students electing to complete J-Term.  Visit the Scholarships and Funding section of this website for more information.

Study Abroad

Studying abroad is a great way to experience a new culture, learn a new language, and travel to different parts of the world! There are great opportunities where you can study for a summer, semester or entire year! Financial aid is available for students electing to study abroad.  Visit the Scholarships and Funding section of this website for more information.

Summer Session

Thinking about taking a few classes over the summer? The summer session website provides information on dates and costs for summer classes.  Financial aid is available for summer session.  Visit the Scholarships and Funding section of this website for more information about aid eligibility.

Undergraduate Research

It is never too early to take part in undergraduate research opportunities, independently or under the guidance and mentorship of a faculty member. Visit the website for the Center for Undergraduate Excellence to begin learning about the breadth of opportunities available to you.  This office also serves as the institutional contact to national programs such as the Rhodes Scholar Program, Truman Scholar Program and many other such programs. You should also consult with individual faculty members about opportunities to assist in their research efforts as an assistant or lab researcher or in another capacity.

Internship Opportunities

An internship is a great way to get hands-on training in your field of interest and build connections with people who share your excitement about a particular career. More and more, employers are looking for graduates who have had meaningful experience in college. Visit the Career Center for information about ways to search for internships that best suit you.