Late this afternoon, we were alerted to viral social media posts appearing to originate in the United Kingdom, urging acts of violence against Muslim individuals on April 3rd. Although we are aware of no connection to a specific threat targeting members of the University community, we are informed that fliers supporting this virulent campaign of hate have been reported at other American colleges and universities. This has caused understandable concern on the part of members of our community. University Police are closely monitoring this situation.
If you see anything related to these online threats that draw a specific link to UVA, or which appear to target any member of our shared community, I ask you to immediately report it by calling University Police at 434-924-7166 or, if you believe it to be an immediate emergency, by dialing 911. I also express our strong and unwavering support of our Muslim students, faculty, and staff, and our Muslim neighbors in the local community. This University was founded upon a commitment to religious pluralism, and it is important for us to reaffirm that value when any specific faith is targeted with threats of violence.
Please be aware of the following University resources available to you, in addition to University Police:
- Office of the Dean of Students, Second Floor, Peabody Hall (924-7133)
- Multicultural Student Services, MSC - Lower Level, Newcomb Hall (924-9250)
- Office of Equal Opportunity & Civil Rights, Washington Hall, East Range (924-3200)
- Counseling & Psychological Services, Student Health Building, 400 Brandon Avenue (243-5150)
- Office for Diversity & Equity, Madison Hall (243-2079)
- International Studies Office, Second Floor, Minor Hall (982-3010)
Allen W. Groves
University Dean of Students